To some, the thought of salted fish may not be appetizing, but to me it is delicious. Cantonese Salted Fish is a traditional Chinese food originating from Guangdong Province. The fish is preserved or cured with salt. It is a staple diet in Southern China, where my family originated, and it is known as a “poor man’s food”, because the saltiness can enhance simple rice dishes.
This is a humble home-cooked dish that brings back nostalgic memories of visiting my grandmother’s home. Salted fish was not used often in my own household, but my grandmother used it frequently in her cooking.
So what you will need is:
1/2 lb Pork Belly, sliced and diced (can be substituted with pork shoulder)
2 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 Teaspoon Shao Hsing Wine
1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
1/8 Teaspoon White Pepper
2 Teaspoon Tapioca Starch
1/8 Teaspoon Chicken Essence (optional)
1 Thumb size Salted Fish (rinse and cut into small bits)
20 Grams of Ginger, julienned
1 Teaspoon Green Onion, diced
1 Thai Red Chili, Deseeded and diced (optional)
1. Prepare the steamer: fill the wok or large pot with water and bring the water to boil over high heat. Meanwhile, mix the pork belly with the marinade ingredients in the steam-safe dish. Set aside and prepare the other ingredients.
2. Rinse the salted fish under cold water. Remove any fish bones, and then dice the salted fish into small bits.
3. Add the salted fish to the pork and mix well.
4. Top the pork with julienned ginger
5. Place the steel rack, steam basket, or bamboo steamer over top of the wok or pot. Place the steam-safe dish on the steaming rack, cover with a lid, and steam for 30 minutes on medium-high heat.
6. Remove the dish from the steamer, and garnish with green onions and red chili. This dish is best served with rice as it is quite flavourful.
*for tips on using a steamer, Seriouseats.com has a great tutorial
Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoyed this recipe. I’d like to see how they turned out! “#sweetrehabkitchen“. If you have any suggestions of what you’d like to see me make next, let me know in the comments below!