Mac and Cheese also called Macaroni and cheese is a cheesy pasta dish that was originated from the United Kingdom (according to wikipedia). This is a classic comfort dish. It’s simple to make and also made all in one skillet! This version is super creamy and cheesy.
Check out my first youtube video below!
So what you will need is:
2 Tablespoon Butter, unsalted
2 Shallot, diced
2 Tablespoon Flour
1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/8 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
2 Cups Milk
85 Grams Uncooked Pasta Shells
1/2 Cup (110grams) Sharp Orange Cheddar
1/2 Cup (110grams) Havarti*
1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Salt to taste
*Substitution suggestions: fontina, swiss, gruyere, provolone, gouda
1/3 Cup Panko Crumbs
1/8 cup Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
½ tbsp Fresh Thyme
1 Tablespoon Butter, unsalted
1. Prepare all the ingredients.
2. In a large oven-safe skillet, toast the panko crumbs on medium-high heat until golden brown.
3. Add the crumbs to a bowl and combine with the grated parmigiano-reggiano and thyme leaves.
4. Melt the 1 Tablespoon of butter in a microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds. Pour the butter into the panko mixture and stir until the crumbs are covered with the butter. Set the panko mixture aside.
5. In the same large oven-safe skillet on medium-high heat, add the 2 Tablespoons of butter.
6. When the butter has melted, add the shallots to skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened.
7. Next, add the flour, stirring for about two minutes.
8. Next, add the Cayenne Pepper and grated Nutmeg. Stir.
9. Very gradually whisk in the milk. Stirring after each pour. This will prevent lumps in your sauce. Increase the heat and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium.
10. Next, add the pasta shells, stirring constantly and scraping bottom of pan, until the pasta is tender, this will take about 10 minutes.
11. Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the mustard, cheeses, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
12. If preferred, portion out the pasta in smaller oven-safe container. Then top with the breadcrumb mixture and broil until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
13. Serve Immediately!
Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoyed this recipe. I’d like to see how they turned out! “#sweetrehabkitchen“. If you have any suggestions of what you’d like to see me make next, let me know in the comments below!