Steaming a whole fish is easier than you think! A steamed whole fish with ginger, scallions, soy sauce and cilantro is a treat at home and it is super easy to make. You’ll be amazed by how just a few ingredients bring out the fresh flavour of the fish. The ginger and green onions will take away any fishiness in the fish. You won’t bother ordering this at the restaurant any more.
The Secrets to making a delicious Steamed Fish:
- Fresh fish – alive and swimming, but I have made it from fish that was fresh and dead – and it tasted fine. Make sure the eyes are clear and scales are metallic.
- Smaller fish – Select a fish that is around a pound to maximum a pound and a half. Bigger fish have a tougher texture
- It goes without saying, do not overcook – 8 minutes for the first pound, and 2 minutes for each additional 1/2 pound
- Medium heat – Steam the fish delicately at medium heat rather than high heat.
- Discard the cloudy fishy water after steaming, as well as the cooked herbs – ginger and scallions.
- Season correctly – add the hot oil before adding the seasoned soy sauce
How to prepare the fish?
To be honest, I didn’t bother preparing the fish myself. I had the fishmonger at T&T Supermarket gut and clean the fish for me and place it nicely in a bag. All I had to do was rinse it under cold water and dry it before steaming.
Thank you for reading! Hope you enjoyed this tutorial! I’d like to see how they turned out! “#sweetrehabkitchen“.
If you like these posts, remember to subscribe to get regular notifications!
Check out tutorial here.
- 1 x 2lb Fresh Crab, broken apart into sections - see video HERE
- 1/4 Cup or 30 grams Ginger, julienned
- 3 Scallions, (cut into 2-inch pieces - separate white part and green)
- 1 Thai Chili, deseeded and diced
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt or to taste
- Prepare the steamer to steam on high heat.
- Clean the crab.
- Place the crab onto a steam-proof plate.
- Season the top shell and the exposed crab meat lightly with salt.
- Sprinkle the julienned ginger, white part of scallions, and deseed diced chili (optional) over top the crab.
- Place into the prepared steamer to steam for 10 minutes.
- At 10 minutes, open the lid and add the green part of the scallions.
- Cover with the lid to steam with residual steam for about 30 seconds.
- Serve the crab with white rice. Enjoy!